Friday, September 17, 2010

Funeral Card Friday: Benana Elliott

 
Benana (Elliott) McCroskey is a darn difficult woman to find!  All I have are tantalizing tidbits.  I have a funeral notice...

I have an obituary...


which I admit is really more than tidbits.  The tantalizing tidbits are actually found in one of Alexander Judd Doran's notebooks.  It simply states:
Benana Elliott Parents names. Father Benjamin Elliott.

Her mother was Angeline Crenshaw.
Benjamin Elliott died about Feb 1846
Angeline died 1864

While Benana Elliott was in a Federal prison in Marshall Mo Saline Co. She was 18 yrs old she never got to go to her mothers funeral. A negro slave came to the prison and told her that her mother was dead.
What?!  Federal prison?!  At 18?!  Where??  And for what??  

I don't have the faintest idea.  I don't even know where to start.  Benana (Elliott) McCroskey is a darn difficult woman to find!




1 comment:

  1. Wow. That would haunt me. I would *have* to know. lol Make sure if you find out more that you update this post!

    ReplyDelete